Search This Blog

2/24/12

Course Reflections


There have certainly been times  when my perceived lack of  real progress has given me a real sense of frustration, and judging by some of the results, even taken a step backwards. Trying to take a philosophical view of things, I reminded myself that failures are necessary if one is to learn; if everything was successful the challenge would be diminished, creating a feeling of complacency. The trouble was, it was often only after my tutor had pointed out and explained certain faults, that I could begin to comprehend where I went wrong and why. I'm certainly glad that I altered or even repeated certain drawings because that helped me to obtain a much better appreciation of the various slip-ups I made and how to correct them. As the course has progressed I've felt my confidence grow for taking risks and a subsiding fear of making mistakes. Hopefully that will continue throughout my next course.
What I am learning about other artists and art movements; having a go at deciphering a work of art in the context of its surroundings, is unprecedented. Unless I was following a structured course such as this I know I wouldn’t have taken the time to research other artists or certain aspects of art technique, such as experimenting with a wide selection of media or doing still life or figure drawing,  in anywhere near as much depth. See also Assignment 5